“The creation of something new is not accomplished by the intellect but by the play instinct acting from inner necessity. The creative mind plays with the objects it loves.”
– C.G. Jung

Thursday, July 21, 2011

How to Live In More Than One Place at a Time

It is such a bummer that it is possible to live only one version of ourselves at any one time.  Contrary to the world view of my 6 year old self, I can not be a fashion designer, bug scientist and waitress all at the same time.  Perhaps it is only possible to live one version of yourself throughout a lifetime.  There are several medications for this particular form of melancholia: vicariously living through the lives of others or creating imagined lives for yourself by reading, becoming someone else on Halloween, and living a second life through an avatar.  Each has varying degrees of satisfaction. 

One element that I find most frustrating about this conundrum is that I can not simultaneously live as an organic farmer in Wisconsin, with my friends and family in Chicago,  in the midst of the unspeakable beauty that is the Big Island of Hawaii or as a regular patron of Paris' Rue Cler market.  So, until I unlock the secrets of the matrix, I will continue to keep illustrated travel journals, so that I can visit myself in other places of residence. 

These are some highlights from several illustrated travel journals that I have kept over the last few years.  Each gives me a sense of being in that place.

Montana Roads

Kauai Cliffs

Wisconsin Sunrise
Buttons from Entrée des Fournisseurs, a gorgeous notions shop in Paris
Maui beach, Kauai colors, Trip to Toronto map, Hawaii sky

No comments:

Post a Comment